How to Get Rid of Ants
Fire ants, red ants, black ants, you name it; they march through homes staking claim on all their little tentacles can latch on to. They love our homes, and why shouldn’t they? Finding warmth, and with access to so much food, ants loiter and become full-blown infestations in no time. Short of going to war with them there’re things we can do to prevent and control infestations in our homes.
First: Never underestimate the value of your local pest control professional. Not only do they know how to eradicate ants with proven treatment methods, they offer great tips you can implement right away.
DIY Ways to Get Rid of Ants
There are a few simple steps you can take to keep ants from coming back:
- Good Housekeeping. Avoid creating an environment that is attractive to ants and they will not come into your home. It really is that simple. Keep door and window screens tight and free of cracks and rips and make sure you mop floors and wash countertops regularly.
- Keep Food Locked Up. The old wisdom of putting food away so it doesn't "attract ants" is true. Food itself doesn't necessarily attract ants; they more or less blindly poke around until they find the food and keep returning until it’s gone. In getting rid of ants, make food removal an essential part of your strategy.
- Remove the Scent Trail. Ants release a chemical that helps them keep track of the location of food. If you remove the trail, then they won’t be able to make their way back to the food source. Wipe down counters with vinegar solutions frequently and keep food areas dry to avoid having the scent stick.
- Treat the Outdoors. There are a number of store-bought pesticides that can be applied around garden beds and cement cracks where ants often build colonies. Removing their main source of shelter will signal to them that they are not welcome anywhere on your property.
Benefits to Hiring a Professional Service
There are some situations that call for the expertise of a professional pest control specialist. When ant infestations reach a point of overwhelming proportions, an expert can simplify the problem to destroy ants at the source, eliminating the hassle for you and the temporary success of DIY pest control.
A trained pest control expert will be able to handle the problem for you in less time with a higher chance of success. Pest control experts know how to get rid of ants virtually for good and in a way that is non-invasive to your home life.
- The Large Moth: Importance of Keeping This Species Under Control
- House Moth Pests of North America
- Dog Ticks: The Other 8-Legged Vermin
- Silverfish Basics
- What Exterminators can do for Pest Control & Pets
- What You Need to Know About Tick Fever
- Preventing Tick Lyme Disease
- Home Remedies For Ants
- Getting Rid of Ants, the Eco-Friendly Way