Do-It-Yourself Silverfish Control
There are a variety of do-it-yourself solutions that homeowners can take to attack a silverfish problem, but in the event of a larger infestation, it is best to contact a professional exterminator. If the infestation is localized and proactive measures are taken to prevent future infestations, these home solutions can be effective.
- Fixing any and all leaky faucets and ceilings to prevent water from entering your home in any context.
- Ensuring likely habitats for silverfish like garages or sheds are kept dry.
- Regularly sweeping your floors to eliminate potential food sources, paying special attention to the hard-to-reach areas like under the fridge and behind furniture.
- Applying Boric acid or other commercially available pesticides to problem areas, again paying special attention to secluded areas.
- Increasing or decreasing indoor temperatures to extreme levels for a temporary period of time will scare off active silverfish populations, but is no protection against future infestations.
Following this playbook of do-it-yourself steps can help keep your home free from silverfish, but should not be thought of as a substitute for professional help. These home solutions are no guarantee of security, and if an infestation becomes too widespread, it’s always safest to get in touch with a professional exterminator.