Do-It-Yourself Rodent Control
There are a variety of do-it-yourself solutions that homeowners can take to attack a rodent problem, but in the event of a larger infestation, it is safest to contact a professional exterminator. If the infestation is localized and proactive measures are taken to prevent future infestations, these home solutions can be relatively effective:
- Sealing all food in bags and containers.
- Placing snap traps and sticky traps in the areas where rodent droppings have been found. It is recommended to have an exterminator do this, as contact with rodents can put homeowners at risk of disease.
- Wrapping plastic tubing around telephone wires that lead to your home. This solution is dangerous to install, but will help keep rodents off the wires.
- Sealing all entry points, including doors, windows, ventilation openings, and siding.
- Sweeping floors and vacuuming carpets and rugs to eliminate errant crumbs.
Following this playbook of do-it-yourself steps can help keep your home free from rodents, but should not be thought of as a substitute for professional help. Rodents are dangerous, and if an infestation becomes too widespread, it’s always safest to get in touch with a professional exterminator.