Do-It-Yourself Rat Control
There are a variety of do-it-yourself solutions that homeowners can take to attack a rat problem, but in the event of a larger infestation, it is best to contact a professional exterminator. If the infestation is localized and proactive measures are taken to prevent future infestations, these home solutions can be effective:
- Keep a cat indoors to deter rats from entering your home. Dogs and ferrets are other domestic pets useful in deterring rats as well.
- Store all food in airtight containers, and never leave loose food lying around.
- Close up any and all entry points, including broken vents, cracked siding, and window screens.
- Take out the trash regularly, and clean spills promptly.
- Remove all debris from the areas surrounding the foundation of your home.
- Place small traps in all potentially vulnerable areas, like crawl spaces, garages, basements, sheds, and attics.
Following this playbook of do-it-yourself steps can help keep your home protected from rats, but should not be thought of as a substitute for professional help. Rats are dangerous, and it’s always safest to get in touch with a professional exterminator if you are worried about the security of your home.