Do-It-Yourself Mouse Control
There are a variety of do-it-yourself solutions that homeowners can take to attack a mouse problem, but in the event of a larger infestation, it is safest to contact a professional exterminator. If the infestation is localized and proactive measures are taken to prevent future infestations, these home solutions can be somewhat effective:
- Store all food sources in airtight containers.
- Sweep floors and vacuum carpets regularly to eliminate errant crumbs.
- Close up any and all holes and potential entry points where mice can enter the home like cracked siding.
- Place traps near potential entry points and in hard-to-reach locations where you believe they might make a nest.
- Keep a household pet around, like a cat or a dog.
While you can capture mice individually with various commercially available traps, they are difficult to get rid of entirely, and often are clever enough to avoid traps they don’t recognize. Following this playbook of do-it-yourself steps can help keep your home free from mice, but should not be thought of as a substitute for professional help. If an infestation is beyond your ability, it’s always safest to get in touch with a professional exterminator.