Do-It-Yourself Cockroach Control
There are a variety of do-it-yourself solutions that homeowners can take to attack a cockroach problem, but in the event of a larger infestation, it is safest to contact a professional exterminator. If the infestation is localized and proactive measures are taken to prevent future infestations, these home solutions can be relatively effective.
- Cockroach baits in varying degrees of toxicity are commercially available and are quite effective at treating highly localized infestations.
- Certain commercially available insecticides will slowly remove the moisture out of cockroaches, leaving them unable to stay alive for much longer.
- Eliminate leaks around sinks, faucets, spigots, gutters, and drains.
- Keep your home as dry and cool as possible.
- Seal any and all potential entries to your home, including, but not limited to, cracks, holes, doorways, and windows.
- Keep all debris away from your foundation.
Following this playbook of do-it-yourself steps can help keep your home free from cockroaches, but should not be thought of as a substitute for professional help. A single cockroach is a manageable problem, but it can be challenging for homeowners to determine whether a single cockroach is truly the problem’s extent. If unsure about the scale of an infestation, it’s always safest to get in touch with a professional exterminator.