Do-It-Yourself Bed Bug Control
There are a variety of do-it-yourself solutions that homeowners can take to attack a bed bug problem, but in the event of a larger infestation, it is safest to contact a professional exterminator. If the infestation is localized and proactive measures are taken to prevent future infestations, these actions can be relatively effective:
- Remove sheets, blankets, clothing, and mattress pads that may have been affected. Wash each item thoroughly.
- Run a vacuum across the entire affected area, and be sure to vacuum all cracks, creases, and folds as well.
- Treat any and all cracks and crevices in a room with commercially available sprays, dusts, and other insecticides.
- Keep your home tidy, and don’t leave damp or dirty clothing lying around anywhere.
- Seal your mattress within a bed bug shield, which are commercially available products that envelop your entire bed to lock out bed bugs.
Following this playbook of do-it-yourself steps can help keep your home free from bed bugs, but should not be thought of as a substitute for professional help. If an infestation becomes too widespread, it’s always safest to get in touch with a professional.